Tuesday 26 February 2013

Party Last Night

Yesterday was a fun day not just because I ate my first good meal since I arrived South Africa, but also because I got out of my room and played basketball (which I suck at), mingled with friends, and danced till I got muscle pulls.

After eating a nice dish of rice and vegetable sauce, I and my pal Julius decided to go out for a walk round school. We ended up at the basketball court where a lot of students were chilling at. There was no game going on, just a few people making shots. There was a girl called Yaya (who I experienced orientation week with last semester, but we never talked much if at all we talked) who kept making clean shots and humiliating the guy playing with her (who I also experienced orientation week with, and whose name I've been trying to recall since yesterday). The guy eventually gave up and left her alone to play.

After watching for some time, Julius grabbed one of the balls and began to bounce. He didn't want to make a sloppy first shot so he kept bouncing the ball for over 30 minutes before he began to make shots. I sat on the grass near the court where everyone else was. I eventually got up to play. Julius finally made one basket and started gloating. I mocked him, saying he made just one shot in 30 minutes of attempting.

I didn't do so well either.

It was late evening when DJ materials were being placed at Chill out (an open place where students go to chill out and eat snacks). It was evident that a small party was being prepared. I left for my residence the leftovers of my lunch, and then went back to the basketball court (which is just in front of Chill Out. Music was playing and students slowly mustered around that vicinity.

Although everyone (especially the freshmen, for this is orientation week) was looking forward to Thursday and Friday (A party at Stones would take place this Thursday, and the O' Party would take place the next night), dancing a little on Monday wouldn't hurt.

After waiting a while for the dancing to begin, I got tired and went back to my res (residence). After sometime, I heard the Nigerian song 'Oliver Twist' by Dbanj playing. I instantly knew that people had begun to party. I dressed up but lay on bed bed because I knew Julius would phone me to confirm that the party was on. Indeed he called me and affirmed it. So I got to Chill Out and found a lot of people dancing and having fun. I walked round gazing at people dancing when my friend called Kuda grabbed me by the arm and pushed me into the middle of a circle of people taking turns to dance. I began to dance and due to my unpreparedness (I usually exercise my joints and limbs before dancing, because most of my dance moves involve extending my limbs) I quickly got tired.
I danced a little more (Nigerian songs are my weakness) and soon began to get muscle pulls in my thighs (I was constantly splitting my legs). Since I could use my legs, I went to plan B. I used my waist (Ladies love it when a guy expertly moves his waist to the rhythm of the music). Especially in West Africa where the music genre of Mokoussa, Kossa, Coupe decale, Loketo, mambo and Soukous are most loved, men who are able to move their waists are usually the good dancers. Here's a youtube video of what I'm talking about:





No comments:

Post a Comment