Friday 2 August 2013

Nigerian Slangs: Selling Point

This new slang was introduced by the Nigerian singer called D'Prince, in his not-too-long-ago released single 'Goody Bag'. 

It's actually a term used in marketing and advertising which is used to mean "a characteristic of something that is up for sale that makes it attractive to potential customers" (www.thefreeonlinedictionary.com)

As a slang, 'Selling point' is what feature a person possesses that creates sexual appeal. For example, for a guy who gets girls majorly with his ability to play the saxophone, his selling point is the saxophone-playing ability. For a girl who gets guys majorly because of her killer dance moves, her selling point is her dance style. 

As with most Nigerian slangs, different permutations have popped up. Amongst my friends in South Africa, instead of saying 'selling point', they simply say 'p'. For example, "Abel's p is his ability to dance."

The term 'set p' is used to refer to the process of establishing a foundation upon which you can attract girls/guys. For example, for me to set my p at a club, I could show my killer dance moves in order to get attention and stand out from other guys. Therefore, when I dance, I've set my p (foundation), and from then on, if I hit on a girl, she'll remember me for my p, and I don't need to start building my foundation from the scratch when chatting with her, because she'll probably start talking about my dance moves ... Then I can offer to teach her, and so on.




No comments:

Post a Comment