Tuesday 11 December 2012

December 11th: Bumping into an Old Crush



Woke up late today because I slept late last night. I've been having much trouble falling asleep at night for a while now. Well I don't think its a real problem. The problem at hand is the power surge which hasn't been taken care of. There are several stories as to how the surge came to be that no one knows which is true. Some say a transformer blew up, another story is that the PHCN (Power Holding Company of Nigeria) workers vandalized a transformer (for reasons unknown...smh). Whatever the story is, it all involves something happening to a transformer.

Today I went to the bank to make some inquiries. So I had to journey through the seven seas and seven mountains once again.
I took my bath with cold water again (after a few hesitations), although it wasn't as cold as yesterday's was. After taking my breakfast at 11 am, I was off on my journey.

I walked into the bank and went straight to the man I met yesterday for my account creation. The man was speaking to a woman and I had to wait a while for her to leave before I could speak to him. After acquiring the information I sought, I left. On my way downstairs, I bumped into an old friend.
Her name is Vanessa. We were classmates back in high school and well, she was my crush.
We got into a conversation and I offered to accompany her upstairs. We talked while she filled her account creation form.
"So how have you been?" sh asked in the same impeccable voice I had always heard a long time ago.
"I've been great. And you? I heard you're now schooling in Ghana"
"Oh yes, I'm currently a first year medicine student"
"wow, good for you. But I'm not sure you'd make a great doctor" I said jokingly
"why not? why are you the only person who's told me this? everyone else says I'll be an outstanding doctor"
"Remember back then when it was your thing to walk up behind people and frighten them? I don't think a heart attack patient would appreciate you walking up behind him to scare the crap out of him"
She laughed as beautifully as ever and said, "I see you're still as funny as ever Karl".
"and you're still as lovely as ever" I said in a bid to flatter her "I mean my God! you still look exactly the way you were when I last saw you".
"Karl, it's only been a year"
As she said this, the officer guiding her account creation process came in after going out for a short while. Vanessa gave him the papers, grabbed her bag and was about to walk out when the officer said with a slight flirtatious grin, "so, will you be returning soon?"
"of course" Vanessa replied with a forced smile.
I knew the smile was forced because, well, I've known her for 7 years and even though we lost contact for a year, I still knew what disgusted her just by her facial expression. She was always annoyed at the numerous flirts she got from every type of guy.  The reason we were so close back in high school was because I never flirted with her. I was always the guy who didn't give a care. That was what she always liked about me.

We exchanged numbers, hugged, and went our separate ways.
Vanessa was the highlight of my day. I think an old crush has been rekindled...

No comments:

Post a Comment