Tuesday 25 December 2012

December 24th: Christmas Eve (aka Child Labour Day)

Christmas Eve - The only day child labour is socially acceptable.
There was a lot of work to do. Lots of cleaning up after the work, and then lots of work again...and so the circle continues.
The maid wasn't around to help. She traveled to her village for Christmas. It's during her absence that I realized the big impact she had been making in my life. If not for her, I would have worked myself to death all these years.

My two good friends Gabriel and Harry came over and relieved me of my duties for a little while.

"Where are you off to?" asked Sandra, our work administrator, supervisor, and my eldest sister. At times like this, she automatically becomes the mother superior.

"I have guests who I am obliged to entertain"
She couldn't hold me back. 

"Damn it guys, you rescued me from labor"

I made sure my friends stayed as long as they could. Unfortunately, they had somewhere else to be. Somewhere fun.
I waved them good bye and walked back into bondage.

I, Gabriel and Harry planned to go to a bar called 'Green Hill' at night. However, I think my dad foresaw secret partying happening this night. So he carried a newspaper, a glass of juice, and sat outside. No one could reach the gate without him seeing.

My sis also had plans of her own. A guy came to see her, and parked his car in front of my home. At that time, my dad was returning from a friend's palace. My dad saw a strange car parked in front of his house. After the gate was opened for dad, and he got in with his car, he went to make inquiries as to the reason for the stranger's impudent act.
Dad asked the guy what he was doing in front of his house. The guy said he came to see my sis.
As you'd expect, my dad began to scold and advise him (mostly scolding).

"Is it proper to visit someone at this time of the night? Give me one good reason why I shouldn't label you a security risk? You might be a kidnapper or even a suicide bomber for all I know."

Dad was being a little over dramatic. But I guess that's the type of behavior you'd expect from an ex-military officer.

At about 10 pm, I, Gabriel and Harry came out and walked around the neighborhood in search of greener pastures (parties). Harry's sister had told him there was a carnival somewhere close. We searched for the site to no avail. It was a failure.
We eventually split up to our homes. At least there's a party on the 25th and the 27th; so I'll be having a lot of stories to post on the blog on the 28th.

No comments:

Post a Comment