Sunday 9 December 2012

December 9th

The day is Sunday, and I had to go to church. Sometimes church services get so boring that a few times, even the associate pastors have been caught dozing off during the sermon.
In most Nigerian families, it is mandatory for every member of a family to go to church. But there are days when one feels lazy to go to church and therefore has to cook up an excuse not to go.
Most times I tell my mum that I'm having a running stomach and she buys it.

*That's just little. I have a  friend who gives the most ridiculous excuses and gets away with them. Its either he's got diarrhea, or a migraine. Once he said he had gonorrhea and his parents let him stay home. I don't know why his parents never get suspicious, considering the fact that he 'strangely' always gets well the next day. In my home, even when I give a reasonable excuse my parents start to look at me with what we call in my family 'the bad eye'. It's a certain look my parents give to someone they suspect of doing some wrong. It's a very effective parenting technique cos sometimes they just give you the bad eye without having any suspicions, and then you'll get intimidated and confess whatever secret wrongs you have committed*

As I awoke, I didn't want to get off bed. The bed kept holding me down, begging me to succumb to its comfort. But I resisted (primarily because I heard my mum approaching the door. I jumped up and pretended to be searching for my toothbrush.
"did you check the bathroom?" my mum asked
"oh, of course!" I stupidly replied
She gave me one quick look with the bad eye and then walked out while shaking her head as if thinking "how can someone be so stupid?"

I got dressed, took breakfast and when everyone was ready, we left for church. We got to church a little too early. In fact, we arrived 40 minutes before the service commenced. A lot of people kept dozing through the sermon. I too felt sleepy, but got through it by amusing myself looking at people drooling whilst asleep.
But seriously, the sermon was so boring that a few people who couldn't take it anymore walked out, went home, and returned with pillows for greater comfort.

The sermon was about...heck I dont' really remember what the sermon was actually about. The preacher said a lot of stuff that didn't relate with the main subject in any way. At first I heard him talk about love, and then he began speaking on Peter slicing off an officer's ear with a sword, next I herad him say there will be writhing ang gnashing of teeth in hell.

Nothing really happened today. But I'm sure tomorrow won't be disappointing as it's my birthday. But I still can't help feeling lonely due to the my pals all being in school. Even my home is dry because my younger sinlings are both in school and my eldest sis is in another state. But I guess all that will change on the 22ND OF December, when my siblings will be back and when my two female cousins will be arriving from Lagos (another Nigerian state) to spend Christmas. Gosh it'll be a full house!

No comments:

Post a Comment